Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Letting Go of 2012 - Part 1





Some photography forums I belong to asked what our favorite photo of 2012 was.

It started me thinking and looking back at the year. It was a roller coaster of one for sure, many changes in my life. But I saw this one and I can't say it's my favorite but it maybe the most meaningful photo I took this year.

But hard for me to look at still.

My biological father died in May. His wife, ex-wife,  four step daughters and me (his only biological child, but I was not raised by him) were with him his final week of life and when he passed on.

It was the first time all of us had been together. EVER. We connected, healed and grew through this terrible process.

Hours after he passed in the middle of the early morning, we went down with one sky lantern to the beach, in front of the rental condo where we had been caring for him, and sent that light into the night and watched it burn and disappear.

Then we went  together, under the moon, into the still, cold, cleansing water, to try and find relief or peace or maybe just freedom from the heaviness of it all.

The profoundness of that day carries on. In so many ways, some terrible and some amazing. My life is forever changed. Again.

This was 2012 for me. This feels too personal to share...  But it's the sharing that helps me move on. So I will.



No comments:

Post a Comment